Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It's My Birthday and I'll Cry if I Want To....

I'm sad. So, so, so sad. Our school community has suffered yet another terrible tragedy. A house fire yesterday claimed the lives of one of our families. The entire family. Gone. Just gone. My heart aches. It is too much to comprehend. I have paused my maternity leave these past two days to be with my students. I can't stand to watch them suffer. I wish I could explain to them why life can be so cruel. Explain to them how 3 young adults, each beautiful inside and out, can be taken from us in the blink of an eye. But I can't. I don't have the answers. No one does. So for now, I will continue to do that which I can. I will sit with them in silence. I will cry with them in sorrow. I will scream with them in anger. I will open my arms and my heart and remind each and every person how precious they are. Please, please pray for our community.

7 comments:

Jodie said...

Oh Teri, there are no words. I am so very sorry for all of you. Such a tremendous loss. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Jodi said...

I can't even imagine what you are going through. What a tragic loss. Your students are very lucky to have you to lean on.

Paulette said...

My prayers are with the ones now left behind to pick up the pieces.

Wondering when you will find us said...

So, so sorry that all of you are going through such a tragic loss.Praying for everyone.

Julie said...

THinking of you and your students. - Julie

Paula said...

What an awful tragedy. My prayers are with you.

Rebecca said...

I've been thinking about you and your students for the past couple of days. What a senseless loss. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. My prayers are with you all.