Tuesday, June 17, 2008

SAHM I Am (if only for a moment)


How is it that time flies by so very quickly when we are enjoying ourselves, and yet seems to crawl when we are in periods of distress, such as, gee idk- WAITING FOR A BABY?!


The nineteen months waiting to bring home Elliana were pretty much THE LONGEST 19 MONTHS of my LIFE! Anyway, fast forward to now. Ellie is 3 months old. Gabi is finishing her year of UPK. And me, well I'm still off of work, but.... Unfortunately, there is a BUT in that statement.


The BUT is that I am going back to work on Tuesday. It's only for 8 days, to register my kids for summer school and tie up loose ends, and then I am off again for the summer. But technically, my parental leave, no my MATERNITY leave is over. Once I go back, I'm officially back. Don't get me wrong, I am eternally grateful to have the majority of the summer off, only working random days here and there. But, it's never going to be the same again.


Staying home this past three months has quite possibly been the BEST 3 months of my life. I LOVE waking up to the girls. Being able to take Gabi to and from school. Picking her up and running errands, or going for a playdate, or just coming home and being "Motherly". They have been my everything these past few months. I have been able to focus souly on being Mom and Wife. Now I have to be Mom, Wife, and Counselor. I love my job, I love the students, which makes it all a bit easier. But, what I wouldn't give to be able to spend a year or two in the roll of SAHM.


We have tossed around so many ideas. But the reality is, with the cost of two recent adoptions, the start of private college tuition in the fall, and my own student loans, short of selling our house and cars, it's just not possible.


But I'm not going to mope or be negative (much). I'm going to count my many blessings (remind me if I slip) and appreciate (to the best of my ability) the life we've made.

8 comments:

Paulette said...

:) I've pondered these thoughts again most recently tooo! *Sigh*

Colette said...

You are very lucky to have had 3 months off! I only had 3 weeks. But I feel lucky too. I am able to work from home 2-3 days a week. I love it! We have to do a play date this summer!! We will get all the girls together!!! Let's do it!

Paula said...

You have a really good attitude. With my first daughter I HAD to work and that was that. Now, 20 years later I'm able to work from home, but it took that long. You are right in concentrating on your blessings.

Anonymous said...

Yep..it sucks. I've lived it first hand for the last 10 weeks. This country makes NO sense. I wake up M-F and take my 5 month old off to be raised by someone other than mom--while I go to school to raise somebody else's child. DAHH...backwards or what??

You'll adjust just like you did with Gabi. And of course friends at work will help too. You know whatever you're feeling--I feel it to:(

Kerri

Life with my BOYS! said...

(((HUGS))) I had the same amt of time off and then another few months quickly afterwards. It is hard, but I savored the thoughts that I was home and had that wonderful bonding time for those 3 months and 8 days will fly by!!!!! Summer here we COME!!!!

wsweden said...

Teri,
You are a wonderful mom whether you are home with them or back to school.
How many days until the first school vacation?

Jen said...

Oh, I am with you! I was home for 6 weeks after Hannah came home, and I cried when I had to leave her. I was leaving her with my sister, at that! She was in the best hands possible, but it didn't matter.

And now I'm a sahm for a year, but to do this, we are on such a tight budget...

I wish, wish, wish that every mom who wanted to stay home simply could do just that. It isn't fair.

Wondering when you will find us said...

I can't seem to leave a message on your recent post. There isn't a spot for comments. Unless I missed it. Anyway, that song is beautiful and so fitting! I am so happy for all of you, you have such a blessed family! :) xoxox