Monday, January 5, 2009

Dr's Dr's Dr's

Last night Mom, Gidget, and I headed to the Millennium Hotel in Buffalo so that we would be close by for today's 7:00am appointment with the Gynecologic Oncologist. This was the appointment we had been anxiously anticipating as we prepared ourselves to hear the results of the recent CT/PET scan, as well as the findings of the in-depth review of her pathology slides from the hysterectomy.

Today we learned this:

--She has two forms of cancer- uterine and ovarian.

--The PET scan was "positive" which means that cancer was present in her lymph nodes.

--There was also evidence of cancer on her fallopian tubes.

The plan is:

--Another surgery ASAP (within 10 days) to remove her lymph nodes. This will allow for precise staging of the cancer as well.

--Chemotherapy

--Radiation Therapy

It's all so much to swallow. It's just a nightmare with no escape upon awakening.

We did have some "mandatory fun" (per my demands) at the hotel last night. We swam, ate big slices of chocolate cake, mighty taco, and watched Desperate Housewives snuggled up in bed. I think we even forgot that mandatory part for awhile!

9 comments:

Jodie said...

Well, this is not the news I was hoping to find. We are praying! Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do. I feel lost. Do you remember telling me that when Tyler was diagnosed? That's how I feel now. But please know I'm here. I'm always willing to watch the girls, give big hugs, and pray. We love you!!

wsweden said...

Teri,
I am so sorry to hear the news. Cancer is never an easy diagnosis to hear. Fortunately, your sister is young and strong and has a great support system. Stay strong!
((Hugs))

Patti said...

I wish you had better news. But you sound like everyone is optimistic - which is good. And since you traveled to Buffalo, I am assuming you've been set up with a top-notch doctor!? My Mom had uterine cancer ... at age 42. She is now 64! :-) I can't believe you were right here, practically in my back yard! Great hotel with a real nice pool!
You're all in my prayers.

Wondering when you will find us said...

So sorry Teri for your sister and family.Hoping and praying chemo/radiation knocks it all out of her system, and she beats this thing!.There is a great online support group my mom joined and met so many wonderful people with similar diagnosis. They all support each other. When and if your sister ever wants the website let me know.Glad u all had fun at the hotel, thats only 10 min. from my house.

Anonymous said...

Teri,

Praying for you and your sister.
Darlene

Paulette said...

My prayers are with you and your family too as you travel in this journey.

Scott and Becky said...

Prayers and thoughts are with all of your family, as you come together to beat this thing! If you ever find yourself in Buffalo again, let us know - we can show you a good time!

Colette said...

Teri...I am praying for her! Keep us posted...let me know if you need anything...buffalo isn't that far away! Hugs

Oma aka Meme said...

soft hugs and prayers
sometimes there is just nothing to say beyond prayer
hugs from Meme