Saturday, February 7, 2009

Packing list for an out of state adoption

Can you BELIEVE it??????? Our baby is 11 months old today?!?!? I know I can't! This time last year we were anxiously counting down the days until March.

One month to the day before our departure for Indiana I started packing Ellie's suitcase. I scoured the Internet for "lists" of what I "should" be packing. I didn't find much. I came across my list recently and decided to post it here. Hopefully, it will be helpful (especially to Mark and Janet :) xoxo).

Ellie's Packing List

Blankets: 1 regular cotton, 3 receiving, 2 swaddle, 1 small quilt to use in hotel room as a changing pad base

Winter Coat & Hat

Newborn hats: 5

Mitts: 1 pair (ended up going to BRU while there to buy more)

Onesies: 10 white and 1 "I <3 Daddy"

Gowns: 7

Sleepsacks: 2

Socks: 8 pairs plus one pair of booties

PJ's: One pair

Burp cloths: 7

Outfits: 8

Microwave Bottle Sterilizer: Never Used

Bouncy Seat: Assembled there. Used often in hotel- especially for her to sleep in.

Infant Car Seat with JJ Cole Cover

Diapers & Wipes

Disposable infant washcloths

We ended up using most of what we packed except the outfits. I mostly just kept her in gowns because they were so practical.

When you are traveling out-of-state for an adoption it is impossible to know how long you will be there. We were there for 7 nights. If you can, DEFINITELY stay close to the hospital in a SUITE (with a separate bedroom and a kitchen). Call the concierge at the hotel and tell them why you are coming. They have amazing connections.

We went shopping at a Super Target the night we arrived and bought food. We were also traveling with our 4 year old, so snacks and breakfast food were uber important.

I also packed little "surprises" for our 4 year old to open along the way, including a special one for the hospital. (A doll and car seat like Mommy's).

Go to the Chamber of Commerce website for the city you will be staying in. They have some great recommendations. Also, if you won't be traveling with a GPS (which I highly recommend) print out directions to and from hospital, hotel, and restaurants in advance.

What we didn't bring:

Formula- didn't know what kind she would be on. Hospital provided more than enough to get us through the week and then some.

Pack and Play- it was too cumbersome. We just used her car seat and the bouncy chair.

Infant Stain Removing Product and detergent- Had to go buy that while we were there, too. Bring some!!!

5 comments:

wsweden said...

Great advice, Teri. Thanks for including the things you didn't need, too. We will probably be flying, so deciding what to bring will be so hard.

Sue said...

11 months truly seems like a lifetime ago. Yet at the same time, I ask where the time went.

I distincly remember the feeling when I was at your house and you showed me Ellie's bag and coming home outfit. It wasn't until that moment that it really sank in. Your BABY was really on her way!

Paula said...

Wow, 11 months. You are on the homestretch now. I love it when they learn to walk and talk.
I love the pics of the girls on the sled, too cute.

Rebecca said...

The time has gone by so quickly. It's hard to believe.

Jenn said...

Thank you! I have been searching for a list and this will come in SUPER HANDY!