Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Takin' Care of Business

Apparently, when your sister gets cancer of the uterus and ovaries it means many things for many people. Obviously, the worst is that she is sick. That she has to go through seemingly endless injections of poison in order to make her feel better. And it's terrible to watch her go through this. It's debilitating to watch your Mom as she struggles in comprehending the magnitude of the fact that her eldest daughter is very, very sick.

There are also the silent, selfish thoughts that plague one who's family seems prone to hereditary cancers. The biggest question of all of course being, "Will this happen to me?" It is compounded by the fact that every medical professional encourages one's siblings to be diligent in cancer awareness and screenings.

So, being the psycho-somatic freak that I am, I have decided to heed these words of wisdom.

Here is where I am at in the process:


Yesterday, had the CA-125 blood test. Results expected by Thursday.


Next Thursday (2/13/09)- Sonar Histogram


Next Month- First genetic testing appointment at Strong for my sister and I.


In the extremely rare event that anything comes back even slightly abnormal I will have a laproscopic procedure to explore inside the uterus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is a really good idea for you to get checked out. I know it can be scarey, but it's the right thing given your family history. good luck and keep us posted! oh and BTW - I had that blood test (CA-125) done and mine was elevated but the reason was based on my severe endometriosis. Docs said it's common to be higher for women with endo. The thing to be concerned about is if it is conitually rising i guess. anyways, good luck!