Sunday, February 4, 2007

Goodbye to a Mentor....

As I innocently read the paper this morning I was brought to my knees to see that my sixth grade teacher has passed away. She battled cancer for many years. She wasn't just a teacher. She was a friend. We shared the same birthday, and somehow that connection carried through so many years. I remember seeing her at the cancer walk a few years back. We were there for my Aunt, honoring her memory. She was there as a SURVIVOR! It was awesome to see that. I saw her not so long ago at our Dr. office. I could see that she was sick again. My heart ached for her. She still had that amazing smile that lights her whole face. She is part of the reason I am where I am today. She believed in me. She saw something inside of me, and nurtured me. I am a better person because of her. I wish I had told her this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teri,
Sorry to hear of the loss of your teacher. I would suggest that you send her family a note telling them about the impact she had on your life and how it shaped your career path. I am sure it would mean alot to them. My Grandma passed away 9 years ago and after she died my mom received a letter from a young woman who lived in her apartment building to express her sympathy at my Grandma's passing and detailing the kindness my Grandma showed her. It was really nice to hear that my Grandma had such an inpact on someone we did not know.

Jodi

terilynnh2000 said...

jodi, that's a lovely idea. thank you. i am inspired.