Friday, July 18, 2008

The Results are in....

The Dr.s office phoned this evening. I was quite certain that we were going to be told that the test showed that everything was normal. I was wrong. The Gastric Emptying Test determined that Elliana's stomach is"markedly delayed" (ie DGE) in emptying into the small intestine. At the conclusion of the exam, she had over 90% of the formula still in her stomach. They want to put her on Reglan. Unfortunately, my web search has yielded some results that are making me nervous. If you have personal experience with this drug, please let me know your thoughts. I'm just not sure what to do. Do I put her on the meds, trusting that this Dr. (who is amazing and has tons of peds experience- did I mention he is a Pediatric Gastrointernoligist?) knows what is best for her? Do we decline the medication? Do we ask for a different med? I'm not sure of much right now. I have so many questions. It seems like this is a problem that might go away? I wish the Dr. had called rather than the nurse. I'm hoping that this is something she outgrows quickly. Ahhhh my thoughts are racing!!!!

4 comments:

Paula said...

I'm sorry I'm no help. I have no experience with that drug. If I were in your shoes though, I would trust the Dr. he sounds like a good one and I don't think he would steer you wrong. It never hurts to research it thoroughly on the internet to make sure you know what the side effects are.

Colette said...

Hi...I have no experience either in this drug...but I always get a 2nd opinion. That is just me. You are doing all the right things, go with your gut feeling. Hugs and Blessings!

Paulette said...

Reglan is a very common drug. Olivia was on it for quite awhile (about a year) No side effects notable and she grew out of her issues (not GERD)..

Nicole said...

Hi...i have friends who son went on it when he was very young. He was on it for a few years and did very well on it. I also personally took it for about a year. I had a minor side effect that i'd rather not publish - but if you email i'll tell you, lol!!!