Sunday, October 26, 2008

Torture at the Airport

If you know me, you know of my love for coffee. You know also that it doesn't get any better than Dunkin Donuts coffee in my world. The sad part is that I live about 35 minutes away from any DD (although my wallet appreciates the distance).

Anyway, I digress. Yesterday I saved some of my coveted WW Points for the sheer purpose of picking myself up a DD coffee on the way to the airport to pick up my Mom. I even allotted myself extra travel time for the sole purpose of this beloved cup of java.

Imagine my horror when I approach the drive through only to realize that it's (GASP) closed! I quickly recover by assuring myself that I will be able to grab a cup at the kiosk at our fine local airport.

I nearly RUN up the escalator towards the soft glow of the orange and pink sign, enthralled by the promise of all it has to offer. Enter "brick" wall. Actually, enter cheap ass plexiglass barrier, guarded dearly by a proud employee who in a former lifetime I would have rudely referred to as a "rent-a-cop". (Of course being the mature person I am today, I would never use that dismissing term).

As I make my way towards Barney Fife, I conjure up my best sugary, sweet smile, knowing this is going to be a tough situation to overcome. He DOESN'T even flinch. He tells me that I am not in fact entitled to walk the five feet to the other side of this clear wall and then has the AUDACITY to suggest I go grab myself one of those vending machine cups of coffee! As IF!!!!!

I saunter my way down the hall to the "ENTRY" point of security, (as this is apparently the "Passenger Meeting Point") to find a group of 5 "Security Guards" sitting on their bums eating McDonald's that was without a doubt obtained from the other side of the wall. (You must remember this is SMALL town USA and the airport is about the size of my living room). I attempt to wittingly bribe my way to the other side. Nothing. No movement. I pull a sympathetic looking one to the side (non-chalantly of course) and offer up FIVE bucks for the safe pick-up and delivery of coffee into my hands. He says "I'm sorry Maim, I can't help you." MAIM?! WTF- when did I become a MAIM? I throw a hasty "Yah, I can see how busy you all are" at them and stomp away.

It is at about this point that I realize I am not going to be getting what I want. And I find myself near tears. I HATE being told NO. I HATE not getting my way. I know it's a dumb and stupid reason to pout, but I couldn't help it. Remember the good ole' days when you could walk right down to the gate and meet your loved one as they disembarked? Those days are long gone. It's all just another reminder of how those demonic, selfish, brutal, horrific, disgusting men have changed the way that we all live. I HATE that this is our new reality.


My viewpoint.......if you look closely you can see the seam of the plexi glass wall.

2 comments:

Colette said...

Oh for heaven's sake! What a day! I am tried just reading about it! Well you will be jelious...but there is a DD in my back yard...no seriousily...It is a stone's throw from my house...I will post a picture for you on my blog so you will have to check it out later tonight. I must say that I perfer coffee from TH. Sorry...but DD has the BEST Hot Cocoa there is!!! Better luck next time...Hugs

Jodi said...

No lie... Colette does have a DD in her backyard! Sorry you had a tough day!