Wednesday, December 24, 2008

From Bad to Worse

We went to the oncologist today in Buffalo. He straightforwardly told us that he thinks it's ovarian cancer, not uterine. Many of you know that our beloved Aunt Annette (who Ellie is named after) died of Ovarian cancer 6 years ago. 18 months after she was diagonsed. She was also stage III but she was at C not A.

This Dr. is very thorough and I'm confident that he is checking all of his options before he comes up with a course of treatment.

His main concern is her age. She is only 36 and he kept stressing how rare this cancer is at her age. He also said there is a chance that she has two different cancers working (ovarian and uterine).

So here is where we are at:

Friday- she see's our OB/GYN here

Wed 12/31- CT/PET scan in Buffalo (full body scan)

Mon 1/5- Appointment with gynecological oncologist to discuss results and treatment

Her pathology slides are being sent to the head of pathology at a hospital in Buffalo for extensive review.

She also has to get more bloodwork.

I can't believe this is real. It's like we have boarded a train that none of us wanted to get on. But instead of having control to get off of it, it's just accelerating to the point where we can't even see the scenery passing us by it's just a blur.

At the Christmas Eve service tonight I had such a flood of emotions. Our family is so complete. Ellie is finally here. I have so much to be thankful for. And then the word "cancer" punches me in the gut.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Sending my love and prayers on this difficult holiday.

Jodie said...

You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do.

Believeitwillhappen said...

Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Colette said...

Teri I am so sorry this is happening! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers!!! Hugs

Wondering when you will find us said...

So,so sorry! Praying for your sister and your family.

Rebecca said...

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

BooMama said...

oh, Teri. praying. what else is there to say?