Saturday, December 6, 2008

What a difference a YEAR makes......

One year ago today "A" called our 800 number for the very first time!!

I'll never forget it. It was a Thursday. I had called STAR earlier that morning and talked to our social worker about the sadness that engulfed me. We had just been told that we hadn't been selected for a case.

I was sitting in my office talking to the Athletic Director. My cell phone rang. I didn't recognize the number so I took a deep breath and answered, as one must always be alert when monitoring an 800 adoption line. It was "A". She said that she had seen our ad and wasn't even sure why she called it. I remember saying "So you are currently pregnant?" At this point, Keith, the AD excused himself from my office.

"A" explained to me that she really thought that she was going to work with an agency (to ensure that we weren't "crazies") but felt compelled to call when she read our ad. I explained that we actually were working in conjunction with an agency and that if she was interested, she could call them to learn more about us.



We spoke for a few more minutes. It felt SO natural talking with her. I was instantly at ease. She laughed a lot and talked really fast, likely due to her nerves. When we hung up she said that she would call STAR. I encouraged her to call me at anytime.

As soon as we hung up I dialed STAR. (Well, after doing the happy dance all around my office). Amanda answered the phone, and "A" had already called!! She was already on the other line with another STAR worker! My heart SOARED at the possibility that THIS-JUST-MIGHT-BE-IT!!!!


Fast forward to the next morning- Friday December 7, 2007- 11:30am. I was driving in my car down Main St. (not sure why I wasn't at work...some things never change, wink wink). My phone rang. I instantly recognized the number with anticipation. A number that only 24 hours before had meant nothing to me.


It was "A". She indicated that she had talked to the people at our agency, viewed our profile online and said "I'm gonna choose you guys, I want you to adopt my baby". I started SCREAMING and CRYING at the same time. She seemed almost surprised at how much this meant to me. She kept saying "Aw, now your gonna make me cry".


Exactly 3 months to the day later, on March 7, 2008 our beautiful Elliana was born.


I still look at her with awe. Heck, five years later, I still look at Gabi the same way. It's amazing. Someone entrusted us to raise their baby girl. To be her everything. To love and cherish and adore her for always. Twice. We are humbled and honored to be called Mommy and Daddy by these amazing little girls. Thank you "N". Thank you "A". Thank you.


Our first look at our baby girl.....




What a difference a YEAR makes.....

.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have tears in my eyes as I read this. It's such an wonderful story and she's a beautiful little girl. It really is amazing how much can happen in a year!

Deanna said...

Just an FYI... "A's" name is shown on the first ultrasound. In Case you want to edit that. Congratulations.... I am an adoptive mom to 3 wonderful children!

Sue said...

Our sweet, sweet girls. Thank you "N" and thank you "A". Sniff, sniff.

Paulette said...

So incredibly beautiful!!!

Jen said...

Oh, how sweet! Thanks for sharing the excitement of those moments... I am so ready to get a special phone call of my own! It was nice to be able to read about yours!!!

Love that you have ultrasound pix! What a treasure!

Jo said...

what a face! I just love her!