Friday, March 7, 2008

What a Day!


Sue, Thank you SOOO VERY MUCH for your updates on the blog. They will be nice to look back on later, as well. :) It was a loooooonnnnng day with a lot of down time. I have a new respect for all those helpless fathers waiting for baby to come.

The good news is that Ellie is okay. The bad news is that she is currently in NICU. :( During the delivery, she swallowed some meconuim. They were able to get most, if not all of it out. She also didn't breathe on her own for the first five mins. That was quite a scare. Her APGARS were 4 and 8. They were able to stabalize her. Howie, Gabi, and I spent some time alone with her in the pre-op room for a bit. That was very nice. They moved her and "A" upstairs after a while. We of course, tagged along. :)

The nurses took Ellie for what they said would be about 2 hours so they could bathe her and such. I sent Howie and Gabi back to the hotel for some swimming and dinner. I pretty much hung out with "A". The NICU dr. came in to tell us that Ellie was in a bit of distress, not breathing quite well on her own, and that they had taken her downstairs to NICU. It was very nice, because they had told the staff down there about me, and I was encouraged to go down. Which I immediately did.

She has a feeding tube, a tube to help her breathe, and an iv. It's scary to see, but compared to some of the other peanuts in there, she is doing GREAT. Hopefully, tomorrow she will be back upstairs. I don't really have any "good" pics of her yet though, because of this. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts today!!

STATS: 7 pounds 2 oz. 20 inches long. Born at 2:21 pm.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teri and Gabi,

The girls and I are so excited for you. Ellie is so cute! I hope you have enjoyed Indiana as much as we did...heehee. Alexis has been missing school..cried at random times..but is getting better. We are thinking of you guys and ENJOY that sweet baby. Tell Gabi we miss her.

love, the Whitmore girls

Paula said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. I love the pic of you holding her. I know what you mean about it being a looong day. I remember just being physically and mentally exhausted. I'm so excited for you!

Paulette said...

Sorry sweet Ellie has hit some bumps.. Prayers for all involved.
You look SO beautiful together.

Scott and Becky said...

I love that you have that new mother look already - one mixed of pride, happiness, and a little exhaustion. And I love that Gabi has that almost same look! I will keep all of you in my prayers for a quick recovery for Ellie

Jen said...

Love the pictures of you guys together. I am sorry that there were some scary moments - praying for you as I run off to bed now! Can't wait for tomorrow's updates.

Life with my BOYS! said...

What a wonderful family pic of most of your girls! Is Nicki going to make it there with all of our SNOW! Enjoy your little warm bundle.

You have the exact perspective of the NICU, sounds like Ellie and Elijah had a similar start and I would always looks around and think, hey we aren't so bad off!!

Keep us posted!
MOlly

Michelle said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Teri (and Sue),

Thank you so much for sharing your story with the adoption star group, both through the group itself and through your blog. It has been amazing to follow your journey. It gives me a lot of hope for the future and also allows me to think about what my first day with my child may be like at some point. I pray that Ellie will be out of the NICU soon and in your arms forever! Congratulations on your new arrival!

Jessica (from the adoption star group)

Wondering when you will find us said...

How cute you all look together, proud mom and sister! Praying Ellie feels better ASAP!She is gorgeous!Looks like she might have alot of hair :)Hope "A" feeling ok too!

Colette said...

I am balling here!!!! I love the picture of you and your girls...just wonderful!! It is very tiring...i remember it well! I am glad the hospital is treating you well! That is so important to us adoptive parents! Hugs to all and she is beautiful!

Julie said...

OOOOH Teri, I Am SOO Happy!! Love the pic. You are a MOM again!! BIG SMILES!! and hugs. :) Prayers for little Ellie and A and all of you!! Julie

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS to Teri and Howie and the whole family! Love how she's sucking her fingers! Continuing to pray that Ellie does well.

Meg

BooMama said...

Oh, Teri, she is so beautiful! And so are YOU, mama!!! So, so excited for you all. What a proud big sis Gabi is! Safe travels home!

Anonymous said...

Teri,

Your day and precious angel finally arrived. Always remember that good things come to those who wait. We are now both proof that miracles DO happen. I am so happy for you and your family. Enjoy her..and every moment NOW. The days pass by all too quickly! Know that I am thinking of you constantly and wishing you only happy thoughts!

Love ya,
Kerri

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you. Ellie is adorable and is a lucky little girl to have such a great mom. I can't wait to meet her.
Love you lots and lots.
Alisha

Michelle said...

She is abosolutly adorable. I have to picture you sent me as my screen saver. I would love one of her and Gabi if you can. You guys and Ellie will be in our prayers for a safe trip home. Love ya!!!