Thursday, January 11, 2007

Labor and Delivery

Two nights ago I spent HOURS sitting with Gabi cooing phrases such as "You are the bravest girl I know, you can do this," and "Push, Gabi, push it's right there, I can see it!" Finally, exhausted and no closer to "delivery" I put her into a warm bath. Within minutes she was on the potty succesfully "number two-ing"!!! The next day--not so good. She danced around poor Gram and Pap's from 9am-2pm crying and unable to sit on hard surfaces because she was in so much pain witholding. Finally, a flustered and helpless Gram offered her relief by saying "Just go in your pants." Within a minute, she was a new person with fresh underpants! Last night, we gave her 2 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia per Dr's instructions (Yes, I call the Dr. about EVERYTHING!) Today, again Gabi painfully danced around Gram and Pap's for hours. At a physical for Gram, a consultation with her Dr. provided the suggestion of a "magic diaper" with the bummy cut out and decorated by Gabi. My child was happy to put Dora stickers on a cut up diaper but had zero intentions of wearing this on the potty or anywhere for that matter! Well, later this afternoon--thanks to the suggestions of my mom and Alyssa (and the adorable gift of a thoughtful student)--today we had official "delivery!!" On the ride home Gabi with her Eagle eyes spotted a sparkely new nail polish in the van (from Shavaughn to Gabi). After learning that I would present her with this gift as a reward for using the potty sucessfully she raced to the bathroom and let out a bowel movement that she had been holding onto painfully for about 5 hours! As I type, she JUST earned herself a new lipgloss!!!! WOO HOO!!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Bribery Baby, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad the trick worked, ha ha. I dunno if it is like "proper" child-rearing technique but hell it worked on me and my sister did the same thing with my niece last year!

I bet she's loving her new nail polish, and lip gloss... what a girly girl!!!